B.A Punjab University 2015
English (Paper-B) Second Group
Time: 3 Hrs. Max. Marks :100
Important Note: Over-attempted idioms /correction of sentence will not be
marked . only the first five will be marked. Don’t write your names, ph # or identity in any answer.
Q.1 write an essay with outline of 300-350 words on one of the following topics: (5+20)
- Beauty is Truth, Truth Beauty
- The Holy Prophet (SAW) as Sirajum Munira (A Lamp that Spreads Light)
- Study of Literature: An Antidote to Extremist Behaviour
- Drug Addiction
- How to Build a Democratic Pakistan?
Q.2 Read the following passage and answer the questions given at the end . the answer must be in your own words.
To be a good teacher,, you need some of the gifts of a good actor. You must be able to hold the attention of and interest of your audience ; you must be a clear speaker with a good pleasing voice and you must be able to act when you are teaching in order to make its meanings clear. Watch a good teacher, and you will see he does not sit motionless before his class; ‘he stands the whole time he is teaching; he walks about using his arms, hands and fingers to help him in his explanation and his face to express his feelings. Listen to him and you will hear the loudness, the quality and the musical note of his voice always changing according to what he is teaching. But the fact that a good teacher has some of the gifts of a good teacher does not mean that he will indeed be able to act on the stage, for there are very important differences between the teacher’s work and actor’s work. The actor has to speak words which he has learnt by heart; he has to repeat certain dialogues which he has learnt earliest, Even his movements and the ways in which he uses his voice are usually fixed before, The good teacher works in a different way because. his audiences take an active pail in his play. They ask questions, and if they do not understand something, they will say so. So the teacher has suit out his act to the need of his audience that is his class. I know many teachers who were fine actors in the class but were unable to take part in a stage play because their brains would not keep strictly to what another had written.
- What is the difference between a god teacher and a good actor?
- How can a good teacher be compared to good actor?
- how does a good teacher act?
- Who A according to you, is a good teacher?
- What is the role of teacher in nation building (Please not more than three sentences)
- Make a precis.
Write an application to the
Q.3 write a letter to the Editor of the Newspaper regarding the deteriorating law and order situation in the country .
Write an application to the C.E.0 of a multinational for the post of marketing officer.
Q.4 correct any five of the followings (no extra attempt will be marked)
- The Principal refused acceding to my request.
- Neither the minister nor the king deserve to he praised.
- he enjoyed a lot.
- There is nothing but willing negligence.
- You and Abdullah has done their work
- Climbing down the tree, one of the eggs broke.
- The doctor saw the pulse of the patient.
- he population of Lahore is greater than Nankana Sahib.
- He told the judge that sir I am not guilty.
- he is senior than me in length of service
Q.5 use any five of the following phrases in sentences (no extra attempt will be marked)
- A blue stocking
- A hard nut to crack
- Bring up .
- A cock and bull story
- AT large .
- An oily tongue
- To hit the nail in the head
- Too see gift horse in the mouth
- A bone of contention
Q.6 Write a dialogue between two friends on the issue of the misuse of cell phones.
Translate the following paragraph into English:
موجودہ دور میں مسلمانوں کی سیاسی اور معاشی پسماندگی کی سب سے بڑی وجہ ان کا حصول علم پر توجہ نہ دینا ہے ۔ اگرچہ مسلمان ممالک کے پاس دولت کے انبار موجود ہیں مگر ان کے پاس قابل ذکر یونیورسٹیاں موجود نہیں ۔ ہمیں اس بات کو اچھی طرح سمجھ لینا چاہیے کہ صرف کھوکھلی نعرہ بازی سے مغربی تہذیب کا مقابلہ کرنا ممکن نہیں ۔ اس کے لیے ہمیں اپنے معاشروں کو مضبوط علمی بنیادوں پر کھڑا کر نا ہو گا ۔